Friday, March 13, 2015

MARCH MADNESS: Horse Movie Style


I have a dream.

I want to stage a March Madness tournament for horse movies.

Here's how I imagine this working. Comment on this blog with names of horse movies. I'll do an initial list below, too.

On Monday, March 16, I will put up a poll. You can choose your top 5. Based on the weighted results of that poll, I will "seed" a sweet 16, and present that on the following day.

Beginning on March 18, I will begin competitions. Each day, I'll put up a poll for our matchup, with short descriptions of the movies, links to their imdb pages, images, etc., so that we can all make informed decisions. The winner of the poll advances.

On Monday, March 30, we will crown our champion. I think it'll be a fun way to talk about our favorite horse movies, and maybe discover some new ones.

SO! Comment here with names of horse movies that you think should be in the initial list!

I'll start:

Black Beauty (1994)
The Black Stallion
Danny
Dreamer
Flicka
Hidalgo
The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suite
The Horse Whisperer
International Velvet
The Long Shot
The Man from Snowy River
Miracle of the White Stallions
National Velvet
Seabiscuit
Secretariat
Spirit: Wild Stallion of the Cimarron
Sylvester
War Horse
Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken

What am I missing? I know more than a few...

8 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Maybe some of the old movies made from Marguerite Henry books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen a lot of horse movies in recent years, but these are the ones I LOVED as a child - 1946 Black Beauty and the old Flicka Series - My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead Son of Flicka and Green Grass of Wyoming. Also, a couple of sequels to ones you posted - The Black Stallion Returns and The Man From Snowy River II.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm the best movie ever is obviously the first Horsemasters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Phar Lap. *heartbreak*

    thanks T Myers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. Although National Velvet is the clear winner. Clearly. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.