Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Do you have a horse emergency fund?

I'm currently devoting all my extra cash toward building Tristan's emergency fund back up. I had a really solid personal emergency fund as well as a decent horse-specific one, but, well, the last 2 years or so have not gone so well for either of those two accounts. My personal emergency fund is on its own dedicated savings plan, but Tristan's account has mostly been seeded with a few dollars here, a few dollars there.

So as I am making plans, I found myself wondering: how many people out there have a horse-specific emergency fund? Hence the poll.

5 comments:

  1. One of my big financial goals this year is to build up my personal emergency fund to two months salary, since I've always read that's what you should do. I've got a ways to go, but after that is complete I plan to do a Simon emergency fund as well. One step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my main competition horse insured. I can usually afford the general stuff no problem but I have the insurance for the big stuff that could cost several thousands. I have a credit card specifically for this type of emergency, as my equine insurance reimburses me after the initial $300 deductible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do try to keep a savings account for general emergencies as well.

      Delete
  3. I responded to the poll, but for the sake of honesty should admit my general emergency fund is more for personal stuff where I might need the cash on hand. Horse emergencies like a vet call that I could pay for with a credit card would likely be paid that way and paid down from my cash fund as I feel comfortable- I do keep a card with a big limit and pray I never need to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a horse owner right now but when I had Houston I budgeted to save 200 just for his emergency fund a month. Luckily I did because he was on a demo derby there for a little bit. I think saving as much as you can for personal emergency or horse emergency is smart. I think that in the future I would just have it in one savings account but It was nice to see it separately.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.