Monday, December 2, 2013

Etsy Shopping Guide: Vintage Horses

I have an Etsy problem. It's not as severe as it could be, given my horse-induced perpetually broke state, but it still qualifies as a problem. I start looking at gorgeous things on that site and I get sucked in and two hours later I'm sighing over an Art Deco inspired Star Wars end table.

I thought I'd put together a few posts of nifty horse-related things to buy on Etsy in advance of the holiday season - or, you know, any time you need to gift something to another horse lover in your life. I'm thinking that some of these in particular might make lovely trainer/barn manager/vet gifts.

First up: let's talk vintage horse items. I happen to have a tiny collection of vintage horse objects that I love, and any of these would fit in great on my shelves.

US Cavalry Saddle Bags ($249.99)

As soon as I saw these I let out a pathetic, besotted sigh. These went with a McClellan saddle, arguably the greatest military saddle the United States has ever produced. I wrote my master's thesis on the beginnings of the US Cavalry, so I'm more than a bit of a buff.

Beyond that, though, they're just gorgeous - all those buckles and the wonderful soft supple leather. Lovely.








Art Deco Knife Rests ($79.00)

I'll be honest: I'm not entirely sure what a knife rest is, or why one would be needed.

But aren't these lovely? I love the long lean lines of them, the elongated yet elegant neck and backs.








Equestrian Horse Head Cigarette Holder ($32.00)

In my opinion, this is the best bargain on the list. It has great Art Deco lines, is in beautiful condition, and actually has some practical use - it's not just a tchotchke for a shelf. I think this would look incredibly classy on an office desk.





Brass Winged Horse Figurine ($10.00)

This is tiny but whimsical, and would make a nice shelf piece, especially for such a low price.












Vintage Hunting Candy Tin ($14.99)

Another small and sweet item. I particularly like vintage hunting themed items, and this one has the added bonus of being on a tin that could be repurposed for all sorts of other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.