Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Product Review: Cotton Lead Rope

Product Review: Cotton Lead Rope

Yep.

I'm reviewing a lead rope.

But when I said I wanted to write about things that I use every day, and value, and would recommend, I meant it.

This is my favorite lead rope. It is miles and miles away my favorite. It's just the right length to lead Pony Club style (right hand near the halter, left hand at waist holding the looped end). It is just the right thickness to grip easily without overgripping. It is sturdy as all get out: sometimes the ends fray but I've never actually had one of my own unravel or snap.

It's cotton, so on the off chance a horse takes off with you still holding on, it won't give you nearly the rope burn that nylon would. (Someday, I will share my rope burn story. It is not for the faint of heart.) Ditto the round shape: those flat lead ropes are a bitch. The bolt snap is quick and easy to use, and the solid brass means it will hold up better. When it's left out in the rain it just gets heavy, and when it freezes it just gets stiff - and doesn't break when you bend it to loosen up.

It comes in interesting colors. It goes on sale frequently. It rolls up nicely, so you can keep one in every possible place. (Especially if you're like me and keep a halter and lead rope in the trunk of your car just in case you see a loose horse by the road. Oh, Vermont.)

Please note that I accept no imitations on this. There are thinner, lighter versions. There are shorter versions. There are bull snap versions. None of those measure up. This is the 9', 3/4" thick, bolt snap, heavy duty original.

I could write an ode to the simple cotton lead rope, but I'm not a poet, so I leave you with this simple statement: this lead rope is the absolute best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.