Thursday, November 7, 2013

Blog Hop: Bucket List

Little Bay Princess is hosting a blog hop that many have already taken part in, and I figured it's my turn!

She asked: I want to hear about your equestrian bucket list! I think we all have things, whether they be on paper or in our head, that we would love to do someday. Pick three that are horse related, and tell me a little about them.

Here's the original post.

My bucket list...sigh. I've had many, many bucket list items over the years. Most of them have been dashed by injury, finances, you name it. Here are three current ones:

Schooling at Scarlet Hill, Summer 2012
1) Compete at one schooling or recognized event in the 2014 season.

We were gearing up for a great 2012 season, and then the great coffin bone incident wiped out the end of that, as well as our entire 2013 season. Now, we're less than an hour from some of Area 1's great events at Huntington Farm, Hitching Post Farm, Tamarack Hill, and of course the Green Mountain Horse Association, not to mention the wealth of small schooling shows. This bucket list goal has one big huge flaw in it, unfortunately: I still don't know if Tris will ever jump again. We'll find out this winter. So far, he hasn't shown me any reason to have serious doubts, but I'm forever cautious.

Coach with the hounds on her mare Gracie
2) Go foxhunting.

The reality is that this will probably be second field,  but I really, really want to get out. For the purposes of this goal, cubbing, riding out with the hounds, and all variations on foxhunting count. I don't necessarily have to do a full formal hunt. This goal is somewhat simplified by the fact that my old trainer in Vermont (referred to on this blog as Coach, since she was also my college equestrian team coach) is now the huntsman for the Green Mountain Hounds, and Tristan's massage therapist rides with them regularly.

3) Own my own horse property.

This is my forever goal. It's been my north star for as long as I can remember. I want to be able to retire Tristan to my own back yard, to take in the occasional rescue horse, to have a pony for my kids if that's in the cards, and to be able to see them every day, no matter what. I know it's a lot of work, and I know it's a money pit, but it's where my heart has been for many, many years now.








2 comments:

  1. Great list :) You should try to hunt this fall. Most hunts have a novice day where anyone is invited regardless of experience. I rode second flight my entire hunt career and it was no less exciting than first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And I believe the Green Mountain Hounds also do a daylong clinic, so I'd like to get in on that. Failing all else for prep, I can just call my old trainer and ask if I can haul over and hang out with the hounds to get Tristan used to them. He generally really likes dogs but you never know!

    I'm glad to hear that second field is just as exciting. :) I think I would love to ride first field someday but Tris is just not that horse.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.