Thursday, May 16, 2013

Patience, patience, patience...

The formalin/iodine mixture wasn't doing the trick on Tristan's scar tissue, so last night the farrier cut the tissue out and then cauterized the wound. He also took away a bit of Tristan's hoof wall to make sure the final bits of abscess hole are oxygenated, and that we have access to the last bit of healing tissue to clean it out regularly. I have to say, even with a little crescent cut out of the front of his hoof, this is the best it has looked in months - almost a year, in fact. I forgot to take a picture from the front, but here it is from the bottom.


The best part? Tris behaved for the farrier to do all of that without drugs, and without me even there! He texted me that he was going to go ahead and cauterize (which was something we'd already discussed as a possibility on Monday) and then when I got there he had just finished and said Tris was fine. This from the horse who back in November tried to kill the farrier when he tried to trim and shoe him. WHOO!

He should be getting his shoe on this morning. I made the extremely poor life decision of going to a midnight showing of Star Trek last night and registering for a 5K walk tonight, so even if I have enough energy after that walk my lack of sleep will still force me straight to bed.

Tomorrow, I pack breeches. \o/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.