Monday, January 5, 2015

2014 in Review, Part 1

Yeah, I'm way behind, but my pony is broken at the moment so I have time to regale you all with the roller coaster of our 2014.

First things first, wow, I posted 375 times in 2014. That's a lot. Yikes. I can't figure out whether I'm proud or apologetic. I do love writing here, and my happiest rhythm is one or two posts a day, but maybe that's too often? Any thoughts?


January started really effing cold. I got some excellent things for Christmas, and I went to the GMHA Sleigh Rally. We dealt with some eye problems, which would become a running theme. To distract me from the weather, I daydreamed about what I would do with $100,000. I gave a tour of my barn as part of a blog hop. I threw a small tantrum about dressage salutes, and did a foot progression collage of Tristan's foot disaster. I took you all on a tour of my childhood bedroom, and did an overview of reading BLM freezebrands.

Bottom line: it was really cold, and I didn't ride a lot, so I blathered on about many other horse-related things.


Things got warmer, so we took a few lessons, and worked on counterflexion. I played around with color schemes. I cut my hand on a broken glass and was sidelined for most of the month - I couldn't hold the reins, so we did a lot of free longeing. Tristan was featured on Transformation Tuesday at She Moved to Texas, which was really cool.


March started off really, really cold, double digits below, so I was stuck doing more general writing. I talked about my struggles with gout, and then when it warmed up we finally started hacking out again. We celebrated one year post-surgery. We also started lessons again, and got some good work in the canter. I pondered spring shots. I did a review of the bits I've used with Tristan, and then Tris got his teeth floated along with his spring checkup.


Snow finally started to melt, so we headed out for more road hacks, and even more. Tristan started on Pentosan, and it made a huge difference for him. I got my trailer inspected and Tristan's saddles fitted, in preparation for the summer. We got a puppy!


I recapped our first event ever, and went to Everything Equine. I crewed for Hannah at the VERDA Bare Bones LD, which was an eventful day that involved hours and hours of looking for an escaped Tucker in the woods but thankfully ended well. I also got engaged, huzzah for that.


Not all that much happened, horse-wise, in June. I had a massive work event at the end of the month that basically ate my soul. I talked about my superstitions that related to Tristan, and he went into training with the assistant trainer, which worked out beautifully.

1 comment:

  1. hope Tristan is feeling better soon! nice recap tho - it's kinda hard to believe you've had the puppy for that long already!! that lost horse story was definitely worrisome, but very cool that you got out to so many different types of events!


Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.