Tuesday, February 5, 2013

So tired of this...

Saturday night, about 24 hours after the farrier visit: heat back in the foot, swelling in the fetlock, lame at the walk.

I groomed him briefly, went home, and had a rather spectacular meltdown.

Sunday, I came out the other side determined to do stuff. So I took him out of his stall and groomed him thoroughly. I massaged his shoulders. I worked on clicker training with him: loading the clicker, then taking him into the ring and teaching him to touch his nose to a blue bucket. He was slightly bewildered at the idea of having to do things in order to get treats - kept glaring at me and nudging both my pockets and my clicker hand, once he realized the click meant treats. And one or two times I stretched my distance from the bucket too far and "broke" it, and he stalked off in a huff to the other end of the ring, standing at the door that led back to the aisle. But he came back, and I settled for one more good target on the bucket and then he was done.

Monday, I did the same thing, and when I saw that he'd had enough of the bucket I did a little bit of confirming his "back" command with the clicker, clicking when he moved a foot back in conjunction with the command. He once again didn't much see the point of having to work for treats, but he had clearly caught on a bit more than Sunday.

Still heat, though. Still a bit of swelling. Even through the bute.

New crazy theory: is he brewing another abscess? I'll try to call the vet this afternoon and run the idea by her, have her take a look at the x-rays and see if there's anything that might indicate that. The other thing that causes so much heat in a hoof is laminitis, and that doesn't make sense to me, based on all his physical and environmental factors.

I have a work thing until late tonight, so I'll check on him again tomorrow night, and by then I'll have decided whether to start wrapping the foot again and perhaps poulticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.