Friday, May 12, 2017

Braiding kits? What do you use, and how do you use it?

I'm doing a lot of experimenting with making and sewing things that might be useful for horse people, with a bit of a flair - in fun colors, or in YOUR colors, or clever patterns.

It does a nice job of combining a hobby that soothes my brain and lets me express a bit of creative side and who knows, maybe people might want to buy such things someday. (I kind of hope they will; I am feeling even more broke than usual horse-person baseline right now.)

One of the ideas I diagrammed out last night was a braiding kit holder.

This actually started as an idea for something like a cosmetic case: something you could unzip that would lie flat, with elastic loops inside to stick everything. So then you could zip it back up, everything would stay clean & neat & together, and it would look cute - maybe with an embroidered design, or just in fun colors.


Kind of like this.


I don't braid all that often, and when I do, I'm rarely in a hurry. I currently keep my braiding supplies in tupperware. Tristan has a long mane, so I only ever do a running braid - which takes ten minutes and not a ton of supplies.

When I thought further about the idea of that braiding case, I thought that actually people who spend a long time standing on stools braiding their horses' manes usually use a belt-mounted system.

That would actually be even easier to make, and would maybe be more like what people were interested in. It could get some cool color highlights in edging that would also reinforce things.

I don't know. I'm mulling it over. Half the fun of this is planning it out.

So, which would you find more useful? The open case or the belt thing? Would you think it was fun to buy one in an interesting pattern, or in your colors?

2 comments:

  1. I have a belt and I like it a lot! I only braid 4-5 times a year, but the belt keeps everything handy and I don't have to worry about having somewhere to set a case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that braiding belt. I buy my own blunt needled and then thread from a craft store. I added real scissors and hair clips and I was ready to go! I store all of it in a small plastic bin. Normally just hang my Qwik braid bottle on my belt :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.