Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Now, That's the Spot Blog Hop: What Do You Do Outside of Horses?

From Now That's the Spot:

What other activities, hobbies, or sports do you do outside of riding?

I have to say, I have been reading everyone else's answers to this and feeling boring and lazy, but here we go!



1. Reading

Lots and lots and lots of books. 2-3 books a week in a good week, for work and for pleasure both. I tend toward high fantasy, science fiction, and nonfiction. I have little to no tolerance for the sort of everyday drama that usually wins literature prizes, but I do read them from time to time, usually for book club. I'm in two different book clubs.


2. Crocheting

My grandmother taught me to crochet one Christmas. I was about eight years old. I crocheted furiously for a few years, little kid stuff, and then I left off. I picked it up again when I went to college in Vermont, and it was cold all the time and trendy to do yarn work. Most everyone else knitted, but I crocheted because that was what women in my family did. I've been going since then. Usually I do blankets for friends, and lately it seems I've done nothing but baby blankets.


3. Baking

Another hobby from my grandmother. Any and all kinds of baked things. I go through flour in 25lb bags, minimum, and can use 10lbs of flour in one day when I really get going. I bake all the bread we eat, and it comes in handy whenever I need a gift or to provide something for work. I usually bake 3-5 different things a week, usually some kind of bread or muffin to accompany dinner.

Those are the three big ones - see how boring? We also hike, watch movies, and I research side projects. I work a LOT, so that impacts my free time. No real other sports hobbies beyond walking the dog.

8 comments:

  1. Jealous of your baking skills! I love to cook, but lack the patience for baking- especially breads. (The proofing, ugh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, it's exactly the opposite for me. Baking I like because it's longer and I can set it and walk away for a while. Cooking is frustrating for me because I have to focus on it all the time and do fiddly things to it! I am an uninspired cook. Our dinners are usually pretty repetitive.

      Delete
  2. Your activities sound cozy and I want to come be squishy and cozy with you :D feed me baked goods and crochet me a snuggie I can read in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ What L said! Count me in too!

      Delete
    2. It's what happens when you live in a state where it's winter for 9 months! Come visit and I will happily supply baked goods, reading materials, and blankets!

      Delete
  3. I love to read and always have wanted to join a book club! I also am very jealous of your patience with baking bread. I always get to anxious and mess it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ruined a LOT of flour and yeast before I got the knack of it. A LOT. And I still stink at hand-kneading. I always use my KitchenAid with the kneading attachment, or go for no-knead breads. I had a particular knack for killing yeast with over-kneading or too-hot water and turned out loaf after loaf of inedible hardtack.

      I found both book clubs through local postings. I didn't know anyone in them at all going in, but now am quite friendly with some of the members. It worked out really well.

      Delete
  4. very nice hobbies - and i'm kinda jealous lol, as i lack some of the basic 'feed yourself and guard against the elements' skills. that bread looks divine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.