Monday, April 13, 2015

Same old, same old

Really not much going on in my life. Yesterday, I made banana bread, did the dishes, packed several boxes, took Arya to the dog park, researched homeowner's insurance, made an appointment with an electrician, opened windows for airing out, watched the new Game of Thrones, planned meals for the week, and so on.

What I did not do: ride my horse.

sigh.

I stopped by the barn, and checked on him in his paddock. Swelling is down to more or less normal. It's not terribly unusual for him to have slightly puffy fetlocks, so what I check for is evenness. His RF felt exactly the same as his LF. That was after his first 24 hours without bute, so I'll take it.

Both fetlocks felt equally warm, because he has black legs and he was standing in the sun. No difference between them, though, which I'll take as good.

He looked and sounded even at the walk.

I brought him in to the indoor and jogged him briefly. Juuuuuuuust a teensy bit hesitant spinning left on a tight circle. A little bit more spinning right, putting more torque on that RF.

Then he took off like a lunatic, hit the end of his lead rope, and farted in my general direction. We discussed his poor life choices, and when we walked back out to the pasture, he was a bit painful on that RF.

sigh.

I do still firmly believe that he just tweaked it doing an Old Horse thing. He would've been much more acute if it were anything truly serious, and he wouldn't be recovering so quickly.

Regardless, now is not the time to push. If he were headed to Rolex, or even a local show, there would be things I can do, but none of them will work better than rest and time.

I will go today, because it's my day off and it will be the warmest day of 2015 so far, even into the 60s. I'll scrub winter fur off of him and evaluate that fetlock again, but I probably won't jog him out. It's been 5 days, so he's earned himself a longer respite between checks. I'll jog him again at the end of the week and we'll see.

sigh.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to write up some movie and book reviewing so I still have interesting things to talk about that aren't my own lame horse.

3 comments:

  1. what a bummer. hopefully he's all better soon. in the meantime, enjoy the warm weather !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it's still a bit meh around there. Hopefully he keeps improving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jingling... Hopefully, you'll be enjoying Spring weather through his ears soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.