Monday, October 2, 2017

2017 Goals: August & September

I failed and didn't write August in time, so you get a twofer. Lucky you.

January Recap
February Recap
March Recap
April Recap
May Recap
June Recap
July Recap

Horse Goals - original post here

1. Put hands on my horse 5x a week - Mixed. The good weeks were good, the bad weeks were bad.

2. Be less perfunctory - Backslid on this. Needs more attention.

3. Aim toward dressage schooling shows - We did a show! I still have to recap it (if you don't blog about a show did you really even ride?) but I swear we rode two Training tests over Labor Day weekend.

4. Take more lessons - I did a late August lesson that was terrific.

5. Horse-specific income stream / funding emergency fund - The income stream is coming along beautifully. I plan to sell things at a barn tack sale on October 28 and then put them up for general sale on November 1. Watch this space!

The emergency funds. Sigh. I'm going back to the numbers to keep myself accountable and because I hope to close out the year with a bang. The good news is that all of the vet bills (and the associated credit card bills) are paid off, so I can actually build instead of simply plugging holes.

Emergency fund: $4,100/$15,000
Tristan's savings: $0/$1,500

6. Do more thoughtful work - Yes. I'm generally pleased with this.

7. Get more media - I'm doing better with this!

Life Goals - original post here

1. Pay off car - Today I scheduled my last payment for November wooooooooo!

2. Read 75 books - 72/75, CRUSHING IT.

The Island Stallion - Waler Farley
A Beautiful Mind - Sylvia Nasar
All the Birds in the Sky - Charlie Jane Anders
The Black Stallion and Satan - Walter Farley
The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt - Walter Farley
Al Franken: Giant of the Senate - Al Franken
Trish Trash: Roller Girl of Mars, Vol 1 & Vol 2 - Jessica Abel
Star Wars Battlefront II: Inferno Squad - Christie Golden
The Stars are Legion - Kameron Hurley
The One Thing - Gary Keller
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
White Bread: A Social History of the Store-Bought Loaf - Aaron Bobrow-Stain

Best thing I read in this period was Al Franken's book. Worst thing was White Bread. Talk about taking your compelling argument and beating it into the ground.

3. Revive history blogs - sigh.

4. Do better about food - Yes! Doing pretty darn well! Down 30lbs, doing better with overall energy and health. I need to wrestle our grocery budget back into normal order - I've been doing too much midweek last-minute shopping - and clean out the pantry to cycle food through, but I'm generally happy.

5. Decorate the house - YES! I finally put up some more wedding pictures, I have started to think through a plan for the living room shelves, and I'm going to make a list of the frames we need to get all the art we bought on the honeymoon up on the walls.

2 comments:

  1. 30 lbs is awesome. Congrats. I sadly forgot to keep track of all my books and now I can't remember them to put together a total. I generally read between 5 and 7 books a month so I must be on target, but I can't track it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally crushing it in the book reading department and I am jealous, giving me some fire to crack one open!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.