Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Short Hack

I got to the barn intending to do some combination of trot sets and long & low dressage work. I looked at blue skies outside, no snow on the ground, and I couldn't make myself stay inside. We're predicted for rain the entire rest of the week and snow this weekend.

So I opted for a road hack instead, which was at times lovely and at times very frustrating. Tristan was not too enthused to leave his hay, and he wandered back and forth across the road on a loose rein. It's a catch-22, really: if I let him have a loose rein he's clearly happier and better moving, but he also takes it as an opportunity to wander and occasionally swing around and turn for home, especially in the first 15 minutes or so. If I pick up the reins and ask for contact his momentum stops and I have to do more "schooling" than I really want for a low-key road hack.

I wished, in retrospect, that I'd brought his quarter sheet as it was still chilly even with the blue skies (low 40s) but he warmed up and moved nicely, and was happy to get back to his stall with his stable blanket.


2 comments:

  1. gotta take advantage of the good weather while we can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand the need to be outside before we're locked in for the winter! Carpe' Diem!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.