Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Handwalking Hills in the Heat

Vermont has been getting a nearly record heat wave these last few days, which will continue through Friday. Yesterday was the peak. Tristan seemed to handle it quite nicely, thankfully, not sweating standing around - I was worried enough to text the barn manager, who told me to quit worrying.

However, I got to the barn and it was still 75. And I'd fussed on the way there about how I wasn't getting enough exercise personally.

Solution: put a halter on him and march alongside him.

We did just under two miles of road walking together, down a 1/2 mile spur and then 1/4 of a mile up a steep grade of dirt road. Tris would rather not have done the hill part, though after a few minutes of road walking he seemed to shrug and accept that this is what his silly human had him doing for the evening.

I felt good about the work he did and the way I was able to encourage more march in hand. He blew out and farted and was even licking and chewing a little bit, so his body eased into the work as well. I also felt good about my own exercise goals, really feeling like I'd gotten in more movement than I would have otherwise. Win-win!

2 comments:

  1. I do this every once in a while when I do NOT want to go running. Walking and jogging alongside my horse feels so much more productive and saves time! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.