I had a grow light that my father gave me, I had some scrap lumber, and I had most of what I needed from last year's seedling supplies. I did not have quite everything I needed, which is where the Smartpaks come in.
First, the actual setup itself.
First picture is the location; second is my scrap lumber grow light holder.
As you can see, I had the tray, but what next?
Well: I happened to walk by the barn's pile of Smartpaks for recycling on my way out of the barn and that started the wheels turning, so I grabbed a pile and came home to work my germ of an idea into an actual plan.
Necessary tools: a drill with a thin bit (I used a 5/32 bit), used Smartpaks.
I ended up putting five holes in each well, and stacked them all up so I could do a whole bunch at a time.
It took me maybe five minutes..
Then I laid them out in the tray. I had a standard tray that I bought at Agway; I think it's roughly 10" x 20". By some miracle, the Smartpaks fit beautifully 4 across and 8 down What you're seeing below is a combination of a couple different sizes of Smartpaks; some fives, some threes, some twos. Four 5 packs + three 4 packs would've been perfect but I made do.
Then it was fairly easy to pour soil over the top of them and portion them out. I can't plant for a little while longer, since Vermont will be a frozen tundra until Memorial Day, but I did start lettuce in my other open tray just to get something green in my life.
I'm getting ready, though, and plotting out how much of each I want to grow!