Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Finding the Time

I have all the drive right now, and none of the time.

Last week, I was traveling for work from Thursday through Saturday. I rode Sunday and Monday.

I had plans to ride last night, Tuesday, but a cousin called and said he was in town and we should meet for dinner. I love this cousin dearly, and he lives two states away, so any chance to see him was one I was going to take - but that doesn't make me any less cranky that I lost a barn night.

I compensated by sneaking in to the laundromat near closing and washing the last of Tristan's sheets, then waterproofing it on our side porch in the pitch black.

Tonight, I have hopes that I can sneak out between the end of work and my evening plans. Tomorrow, the same. At the most, I'll have an hour, total, to spend at the barn, which really means ~35 minutes to ride.

Does anyone else struggle with finding the time? I guess I just don't have the motivation to get up at 5am and go ride before work, and if I have evening plans - work, or otherwise - I can't find the motivation to leave my house at 8pm to get to the barn. I work hard during the day and am exhausted by 9pm. Now that it's dark at 5pm, that problem is exacerbated.

4 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. One of the downfalls to having J here with me where I live and work, means I never get away from it (and the barn is usually my escape). I walk in with all the intentions of riding, and then something comes up that I have to deal with, and before I know it, it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof. Yeah. It must be hard to get sucked into other things and be right there! That's one of the reasons I made a deliberate choice not to work with horses full time. I wanted it to stay fun. (I also wasn't nearly talented &/or driven enough.

      Delete
  2. I am not a morning person, so I just commit to being at the barn late, getting to bed late, and trying to get to work at a reasonable time the next day. This is why I have to ride at a place with good lights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always so hard to balance everything!! I try to just plan out in advance and realize that life happens.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.