Thursday, April 24, 2014

Crowdsourcing: Sticking tongue out?

Over the last few weeks, Tris has developed an interesting new habit. I'm less than wild about it.

In short: when the bit goes in his mouth, he sticks his tongue out the left side of his mouth. There is an ever so slight crossing of the jaw that accompanies it. Mostly, it's just the tongue, pushing out the gap in his teeth.

Not much! And not badly. But it's definitely happening. Degree is the same whether there's active contact with the bit or whether the bit is just sitting there.

I don't have good feedback on whether it happens when he's really through and engaged. I know it happens when there's some contact but not engagement, though.


Evidence. This is about as bad as it gets.

I am hoping that it's because the bit is too thick in his mouth. I have plans to get him a thinner bit: either this Sunday at Everything Equine, or online from Smartpak if I can't make it there/can't find what I want.

Any other thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. If the picture is all that it is, I wouldn't be too worried. I mean... the fact that's it's a change is a little odd, but my old man did that all the time. Maybe have his teeth looked at if they haven't been and yeah, play with bits if you're in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar does that too. It doesn't show up when we ride and not when we show. Her teeth are done regularly and she doesn't have any mouth or jaw problems so, I ignore it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.