Wednesday, March 12, 2014

How do you read blogs?

Exactly as the title says: how do you read your horse, cooking, professional, and other blogs?

Do you keep a series of bookmarks and check on them?

Do you use the Google follower/listing service?

Do you use an RSS feeder?

Do you use some combination of the above?

I ask, because at the time of Google Reader's sad, tragic, unforgivable demise, I had been using it religiously for many, many years. I exported all my RSS feeds to The Old Reader, as it promised the most similar service. I really just want to read: I don't need bells and whistles.

Well, The Old Reader is now moving to a subscription-based model. Anyone with over 100 feeds will have to pay a small fee. I have 219 feeds and growing - in fact, I have about a dozen on a waiting list right now, since I can't add any more until I pay up. (And even my existing feeds will be inaccessible soon.)

The small fee is worth it to me, but, it's just enough to make me think about exploring other options. So I'd like to do that, however briefly.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or words of sympathy about my grieving process for Google Reader, which I still miss nearly every day?

12 comments:

  1. I use Feedly. The mobile app is a little buggy, but it does what I need it to well and often enough that I haven't bothered looking elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do something--I just just the blogger website, which only works about half the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feedly. It botches the formatting, but its easy to link to the actual blog site to see what it should look like and to comment. I like the clean layout Feedly offers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, Feedly. They're offering a pro tier, but right now it's just got bonus features -- it's not crippling free feedly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Bloglovin'. It's not amazing, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use and love Feedly! Closest thing to Google Reader out there in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to just bookmark the links to blogs I liked... Now I use feedly which ROCKS! :) can't compare to google reader though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to just use the feed they provide on Blogger which is ok but sometimes doesn't work straight away and you need to refresh the page a few times. I recently started using Bloglovin' which I really like and they have a mobile app which is pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right now I just blogger but as my list of blogs keeps growing I probably will need to look for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually just go to my own blog which has my list of favorite bloggers down the side, and read that way. I really should use some sort of reader though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bloglovin' is my favorite. It's easy to use, easy to get the hang of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use Bloglovin' I love it because it tracks what you have read and not read, and you can organize them in posted most recently, or older posts. I just click the oldest post and at the top of the browser will be a "Newer" button....so easy to get through them all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.