Monday, February 17, 2014

The blahs

I had to call off my barn shift today on account of still not being able to make a fist or grip with my right hand.

I tried to start my truck but the battery was dead. Called AAA to get it jumped. Ran it for 10 minutes. Still dead on the other side. Will have to call them again to get it out of the driveway to get it inspected next week.

I have been trying to clean the apartment, one-handed, all day, but am hardly making a dent and I kind of want to throw everything away. I can't do any deep cleaning because I can't get my hand wet. (And let me tell you, taking showers with my dominant hand wrapped in plastic and held above my head is getting SO OLD.)

I tried to clean tack but couldn't get the lid off my tack soap one-handed and so had to wipe my saddle down with water and clean it a little bit with some backup liquid tack soap that I don't like nearly as much. Discovered I am out of leather conditioner. Didn't really get a good deep clean anyway (see above re STUPID HAND).

I just tried to shovel awkwardly one-handed to get my little car out of its parking space, which has mostly left me with a sore left hand and a bruise on my ribcage from balancing the shovel and an aching right hand when I tried to use it.

And the car is still stuck. Not going anywhere. I haven't even seen my horse in a week and now I still can't. I have spent all day thinking of ways I can get him some exercise with one hand and had finally settled on free longeing in the indoor and now not even that will happen until maybe my boyfriend gets home at which point I'll have wasted the only sunny day we'll have this week.

I have to go to a family reunion this week that is feeling less like a nice weekend away and more like a series of command performances in which the agenda, menu, location, and social choices have been chosen for me and which I must follow under pain of Disappointing Your 90 Year Old Sick Grandmother (Not To Mention Your Parents). So there goes another weekend of riding.

I am basically feeling like the most lazy, useless, worthless human being on the face of the earth.

14 comments:

  1. I think you are more correctly described as an awesome human being, who is injured, and stuck in the February blahs with a lot of responsibility and very little fun right now. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, that sounds terrible! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those days where everything just stacked up against me, argh!

      Delete
  3. Agreeing with raithen, sucky broken hand :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the universes way of telling you to sit back and take a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really, really bad at taking breaks...I almost always get myself into more trouble that way...

      Delete
  5. :(

    I agree with L. Williams. Give yourself a little break. It doesn't make you lazy or useless. But, I also understand the need to vent so vent as much as you need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, be nicer to my friend Amanda! She is awesome and doesn't need any kicking when she's down.

    ::patpat::

    Keep an eye on that hand, okay? Can't-make-a-fist worries me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I'm down is when I need to most kicking, otherwise I wallow and get even more lazy!

      Delete
    2. Don't make me come over there!

      Delete
  7. All the hugs from Western Massachusetts. Also if the command performances require too much, can you wave your injuries in the air and look pale? and then collapse gracefully onto a nearby couch? Also what Raithen said. Not useless. Injured, also snowed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the scrappy tomboy image I have cultivated for years with my extended family precludes that. I might try for "sullen and reading in a corner."

      Delete
  8. I've been meaning to comment for awhile on your recent posts! I'm so sorry you've been going through this bad run; I want to echo what Raithen said above. I went through a similar process with my right foot last year during the winter...I work on my feet for 12 hours a day and had to walk across a 15 acre field in the mud if I wanted to get my horse at the barn. It was an awful 2 months. I feel for you and know how frustrating it can be while waiting for your body to heal so you can use it! Take a deep breath and try to take it easy (I truly know how hard that is!) - this will pass, your hand will heal, and you'll be back to normal very, very soon! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.