Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Puttering Around - Heel Scalping, House Renovating, and Life Changes

Last night, my trailer sold. I put a relative minimum of effort into advertising, listed it at a really good price, and answered 2-3 emails a day for the last 3 weeks. Last night, a young woman about my age came over, and saw all its virtues and its vices clearly. She was nice and cheerful and has a young Thoroughbred mare that she's starting to event. It will be her first trailer.

I am really, really sad, because for a long time that was mine, my ticket to the world beyond, a thing that I loved and slaved over and angsted over and took pride in. But: it is going to exactly the right kind of home, and I realize it is ridiculous to be sentimental about "the right home" for a piece of farm machinery, but I am much happier with this than I would be if it had gone to be someone's utility trailer or left to rust out on the hill.

The money will go into Tristan's emergency fund and to start a seed fund for a new trailer, someday. I might take some of it and install a gooseneck hitch on my truck, as I have the possibility of borrowing a gooseneck rig should I want to haul out places.

Not much else exciting to report. Tristan scalped his RH sometime last week, and you'd think that a horse would only be so idiotic/athletic/talented to do such a thing once - but you'd be wrong.

He kept opening it again and again. Each time I went out it would be pouring more blood and covered in a thick layer of shavings dust, no matter what I did to cover it up: Corona, Swat, Alushield.

Hannah was up this weekend and I put her to work mercilessly both in my house and at the barn and after a lot of back and forth as we stared at his foot and marveled that he was still knocking it (seriously, HOW?), I suggested Wonder Dust. It's not my favorite, but a thorough re-read of the label did say that a) it was ok to use on open cuts and b) it would work as a styric, aka a blood-clotter.

We were both deeply ambivalent, having mostly used it as a preventative for proud flesh, but I squirted some on, covered it in AluShield, and crossed fingers.

Aaaaaand...it worked! The next evening I went out and wiped off a clean, non-bloody heel that was showing evidence of healing around the edges. I think we're in for the long haul, as it is both circular and large, and neither of those things suggests quick healing, but it's at least on the mend now.

I haven't yet put him back on the longe to test soundness - I've been so busy with everything, I have no time to really ride anyway - but I will probably do that tonight or tomorrow.

We've also turned the corner with his white line & thrush problems, and his hooves are firming up and growing cleanly again. We're having some communication issues with the new farrier, which I'm not thrilled about, so I've been using a rasp to back his toes off a bit and help him out so he doesn't stretch the white line further.

We had a good weekend of dog-tiring and drinking and eating delicious things and working on the house. Huge, huge progress on lots of projects in the last few days, and today is a holiday for me so I'm going to plow ahead on a few more.


  1. I'll have to keep that in mind if I face a similar injury.

  2. Heel wounds are so tricky! I have been coating Moe's with some Derma Gel and Alushield, and it's looking fine and he's sound. I really ought to get some Wonder Dust though!

  3. glad you were able to figure out how to kick start the healing process!


Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.