Saturday, September 7, 2013

Meme


La la la, I'm ignoring everything and just doing a meme. So there. This is from Viva Carlos.


1. Whats your horses name and how did they come by it?
Tristan's Bel Joeor. I gave it to him. He came to me with the barn name Big Red, registered BLM name Toiyabe Yomba. I hated both of those, so renamed him (after much deliberation) Tristan, and then a few months later decided on Tristan's Bel Joeor. "Bel Joeor," which means "beautiful player," in Old French, is the name of the knight Tristan's horse in Malory's Morte d'Arthur, one of the earliest recorded versions of the Arthurian legend. Also, hi, I am still a medieval historian at heart.

2. What are your favorite breeches?
On Course Cotton Naturals. Love 'em.

3. Tall boots or paddock boots and half chaps?
Tall boots. Not even sure I own paddock boots and my half chaps have been buried in a box for many a year now. Sometimes I'll hack out in just my Ariat Terrains and breeches but 99% of the time it's tall boots.

4. What brand of tall boots do you have(if you wear them)? If you had an unlimited budget what would you get?
Sigh. I have cheap-o plastic tall boots but truly they look like proper leather ones. They're the Saxon Equileather Field Boots. They've actually held up really well so far. I tried on everything in the store >$500 last time I had to buy new boots and the budget just wasn't going to stretch that far. My winter tall boots are the old version of the Ariat Bromont Winter Boot.

If I had an unlimited budget I'd get custom Dehners. I also seriously covet a pair of Dubarry Galway boots.

5. Favorite Helmet
I love Internationals, as they fit my oval head.

6. Shows or no shows?
While I've never had the burning desire to show, I'd like to be able to show more often. It sometimes feels like the times I'm able to get training, soundness, finances, and time all in a row to get to a show have been the exceptions rather than the rule.

7. Jumping or flat work?
Flat all the way. I am a secret DQ at heart.

8. Hunters, Jumpers, Cross Country or Derby's?
If by cross country we mean eventing then yes, that.

9. What other disciplines have you ridden?
Dressage, I guess. I did hunters (IHSA) in college

10. Dressed to the nine or whatever you can find when riding?
Depends on whether I'm lessoning. If I'm just schooling probably slightly grungy (breeches, horse t-shirt) but if I'm in a lesson always newly-clean breeches and a nice polo. Never a belt, always tall boots.

11. Where do you shop the most for you? Your horse?
At the moment, it's an even tie between Tractor Supply and Smartpak. Tractor Supply because there's one on the way to the barn and I can pick up quick things there, Smartpak for other more specialized things, especially with all the medical supplies of this past spring. Really can't remember the last time I bought something for myself. It's been at least a year.

12. When was the last time you rode and what did you do?
Last night, 15 minutes of walking to get his leg down with a smidge of trot to see if he was sound in it.

13. What tack do you use every ride/day?
Stubben dressage bridle, Albion dressage saddle, whatever saddle pad is cleanest, and a gel pad covered by a pillow case.

14. What are your horses color(s)?
Black/white/gray. I wish I could've been more colorful but he's loud enough to take care of that on his own.

15. How often do you clean your tack?
Not nearly as often as I should.

16. What kind of bit do you use?
Loose ring french link on the dressage bridle, full cheek french link on the jumping bridle.

17. Mares or Geldings?
Geldings, every day and twice on Sundays.

18. What is something you want to improve on in your riding?
I don't have anything resembling a natural feel. I have to work really, really hard to sense and then interpret what's going on, particularly in his gait. I desperately envy people who can pinpoint the slightest bit of crookedness through feel, even if they can't fix it right away.

19. Favorite horse themed quote?
"A canter is the cure for every evil." - Winston Churchill

20.What was your most recent equestrian purchase?
A salt block. I'm so exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It's great to hear from you.